This is another recipe modified by my grandmother. They are best eaten as soon as possible. They give off a very molasses and ginger flavor.
Recipes makes 2.5 - 3 dozen cookies.
Calories: About 140 per cookie
- 1 cup of raisins and 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of room temperature butter
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of molasses
- 1 egg
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda.
- 1 teaspoon of ginger, cloves and cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons of milk - maybe more
- 2 tablespoons of room temperature, soft butter
- Boil the raisins and 1 cup of water
- Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer. Then add the egg and molasses.
- Add the flour, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and salt.
- Discard the water except for 1/2 cup of it. Add the 1/2 cup of hot water and raisins to the dough and mix it.
- Spoon the dough onto a cookie sheet. The cookies should rise.
- Preheat an oven to 350 and bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes. You can test to see if they are done by putting a toothpick in the middle. If the toothpick comes out clean, that means that the cookies are done.
- While the cookies are baking, mix up the glaze ingredients.
- When the cookies are finished, spoon the glaze over the cookies, so the glaze melts over them and gives off a "teardrop" effect.